AllSkills Recruitment & MIgration Services
Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
About the Visa
This visa is for people who arrived in Australia without a visa, and want to seek asylum. It lets you stay in Australia temporarily if you engage Australia’s protection obligations and meet all other requirements for the grant of the visa.
This is a temporary visa.
It lets you stay in Australia for 3 years.
- Have arrived in Australia illegally
To apply for a Temporary Protection visa, you must:
- Be unable to make a valid application for a permanent Protection visa (subclass 866) and
- Be an unauthorised maritime arrival, or
- Not have been immigration cleared at Australia’s border when you last entered Australia, or
- Have entered Australia without a valid visa, or
- Hold or have held one of the following visas:
- Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
- Temporary Safe Haven visa (subclass 449)
- Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) visa (subclass 786), or
- Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
- Be a refugee or satisfy Australia’s complementary protection criteria
What can you do with this visa?
With this visa you can:
- Live, work and study in Australia temporarily for 3 years
- Access government services such as jobactive, Medicare and Centrelink services
- Access short-term counselling for torture and trauma when required
- Attend English language classes for free if you are eligible
- Travel overseas to countries other than your home country if you obtain our written approval to travel due to compassionate or compelling circumstances